She got the job! Abington career coaches maximize student potential

Rachel career expo

Rachel Scornaienchi returned to the Penn State Abington Fall Career Expo last week as an employer instead of a student.

Credit: Maria Narodetsky

Rachel Scornaienchi transformed a relationship with the Penn State Abington Career Development Center (CDC) staff into an internship and followed by a coveted post-graduation position in a management training firm of a large corporation.

Scornaienchi, who graduated from Abington in May with a degree in business, said she capitalized on the services and events the center's experts offer to all students and alumni. By senior year, Scornaienchi became a fairly regular visitor to the center and discovered a mentor in one of its counselors, Nelson Wax. 

"He was always there for me, if I needed to meet with him about a class or just pop in for a short, simple answer for my resume," she said. "I felt comfortable asking questions about different companies and opportunities and also discovering what field of business he thought I would be successful in."

student interview

Employers know Abington students are prepared, polished, and professional.  

Credit: Maria Narodetsky

As an undergraduate, Scornaienchi attended the annual fall Career Expo and converted a contact into an internship. She worked with the print marketing firm's employees, learning from them as she moved forward.

"I assisted account managers with customers, found my own new customers and developed relationships with them, and researched new products we could sell," she said.

Around the time Scornaienchi graduated, staff in the Career Development Center knew her skills and work ethic. They suggested she apply for the management training program at Cintas, a large manufacturing and service company, and personally recommended her to the general manager.

Cintas hired Scornaienchi, who returned to campus this month to recruit for the company at the fall Career Expo. She said her experience as a student-athlete at Abington left her with useful skills as she builds her career.

“Sports taught me leadership, teamwork, and time management," she said. "My professors taught me how to interact in the business world and what to expect in different working environments.”

career expo

At the Johnson & Johnson table, a little laughter takes the edge off at the Abington Career Expo.

Credit: Maria Narodetsky

The Penn State Abington Career Development Center hosted 82 employers, an all-time high, at the Fall 2015 Career Expo. Ethel O’Dea, who manages the expo, credits the steady increase in part to the flourishing Abington alumni network, which led a number of Abington graduates to recruit last week.

The CDC staff prepares students and alumni for successful experiences at the expo as well as other career fairs and individual interviews. The staff works with students to develop resumes and talking points and runs a mock interview program among its services. 

Contact