The spring session is full. The fall session will begin in September. Registration will open for this session in mid-summer. Please call Theresa Bloom at 215-881-7402 with any questions.
If you are using the payment plan please call your payments into the Registration Office at 814-867-4973 and tell the staff you are paying for the Abington PCHA program (NURS 5006). Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express are all accepted.
Final payment must be made on/before Thursday, March 2, 2017.
All classes will be held on Friday evenings from 5-9pm and Saturdays from 9am-5pm*. *ending times are variable-please refer to schedule below for specific day ending time.
Personal Care Home Administrator 100-Hour Training Program
Location: Penn State Abington
Directions and campus map:
3/3/17 Resident Rights, 5-8:30pm
3/4/17 Nutrition, 9am-4:30pm
3/10/17 Writing Assessments, Pt. 1 5-9pm
3/11/17 Community Resources, 9am-1pm
3/11/17 Cultural Competence, 1:30-4:30pm
3/17/17 Recreation, 5-9pm
3/18/17 Gerontology, 9am-3:30pm
3/24/17 Contracts, 5-7pm
3/24/17 Rules and Regulations, 7-9pm
3/25/17 Writing Assessments, Pt. 2, 9-10am
3/25/17 Abuse & Neglect…, 10-4:30pm
3/31/17 No class
4/1/17 No class
4/7/17 Budgeting..., 5-9pm
4/8/17 CPR/First Aid, 9am-4;30pm
4/14/17 No class
4/15/17 No class
4/21/17 Personal Care…, Pt. 1, 5-9:30pm
4/22/17 Staff Supervision, Pt. I, 9am-1pm
4/22/17 Mental Illness, Pt. I, 1:30-6pm
4/28/17 Personal Care…, Pt. 2, 5-9:30pm
4/29/17 No class
5/5/17 Fire Prevention…, 5-9pm
5/6/17 Dementia…, 9am-5:30pm
5/12/17 ID and/or DD, 5-7pm
5/12/17 Guest Speaker, 7-9pm
5/13/17 Staff Supervision, Pt. 2, 9am-1pm
5/13/17 Mental Illness, Pt. 2, 1:30-6pm
5/19/17 No class
5/20/17 Saturday Medications…, 9am-4:30pm
PSU Alumni/Veteran Discount: 10%
If you have any questions please Theresa Bloom at 215-881-7402.
A full refund, less the $25 cancellation fee, will be processed for cancellations requested on or before March 1, 2017.
Full attendance of each class is required. If a class is missed it must be made up with another provider or taken the next time we offer it.
For more information please contact:
PCHA Orientation Schedule:
Visit the PA Department of Human Services homepage and search for 2017 Personal Care Home Administrator Orientation Schedule and pick the correct option to view the schedule.
This free 6-hour class that must be attended before, during, or after the 100-Hour Training and exam, and must be completed before you begin acting in the capacity of a Personal Care Home Administrator. This free program is very informative and you must register for it. If you are interested please register-they do fill up.
Who should attend the 100-Hour Training?
Aspiring personal care home administrators, nurses, caregivers, and health care professionals can complete the State Department of Public Welfare’s 100-hour standardized training program at Penn State Abington.
Why choose this program?
- Earn your professional education with Penn State-the Big Ten in your backyard!
- Penn State Abington is the only PCHA 100-Hour Training Provider that offers evening and weekend classes to fit your busy schedule.
- Our location has easy access to public transit and major highways and the Pennsylvania turnpike.
- Every one of our instructors are subject matter experts. You will not find more qualified instructors anywhere.
- Our proven track record speaks for itself: well over 130 graduates and a pass rate of 98%.
What do former students say about the Training?
"The PCHA program was not only a source of vast information and education, it also played a tremendous role in helping me identify the best suitable sector for me as an Administrator." - Daniel Samai
PCHA Course List
- Fire Prevention and Emergency Preparedness-4 hours
- Medication Procedures, Medication Effects/Side Effects and Universal Precautions-7 hours
- Personal Care & Hygiene Services-9 hours
- Local, State, and Federal Law and Regulations Pertaining to the Operation of a Personal Care Home-2 hours
- Nutrition, Food Handling, and Sanitation-7 hours
- CPR and First Aid Certification-7 hours
- Recreation-4 hours
- Resident Rights-3 hours
- Care for Residents with Mental Illness-9 hours
- Gerontology-6 hours
- Care for Residents with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities-2 hours
- Care for Residents with Dementia, Cognitive Impairment, or Other Special Needs-8 hours
- Community Resources: Social Services and Activities in the Community-4 hours
- Staff Supervision and Staff Person Training Including Developing Orientation and Training Guidelines for Staff-8 hours
- Budgeting, Financial Record Keeping and Resident Records-4 hours
- Writing, Completing and Implementing Initial Assessments, Annual Assessment and Support Plans-5 hours
- Resident Home Contracts-2 hours
- Abuse and Neglect Prevention and Reporting-6 hours
- Cultural Competency-3 hours