Nurse gives Abington's hybrid RN to B.S. program high marks

RN to B.S. degree in Nursing student Erin Donohue

Erin Donohue, Class of 2013, said the Abington RN to B.S. degree program gave her the flexibility she needed to accomplish her goals.

Credit: Regina Broscius

Flexibility was the key, according to Erin Donohue. Donohue, an emergency room case management nurse, wanted to earn a bachelor’s degree in nursing but knew she needed a curriculum that could accommodate her family’s busy lifestyle. 

Donohue found what she wanted in the hybrid structure of the Penn State Abington RN to B.S. degree in nursing program, which allows her to accomplish her professional goals while successfully managing her personal obligations. 

“It’s been a great experience for an adult learner," the mother of two said. "The online portion gave me the freedom to work at my own pace on my own time knowing that I could still discuss obstacles or questions with my instructors during class time.”

Donohue has flourished at Abington, according to Brenda Holtzer, coordinator of the RN to B.S. degree in nursing program.

"Erin has been a delight to work with and to advise. Her enthusiasm to learn and challenge her thinking was contagious in the classroom, and she initiated quality discussions with her classmates,” Holtzer said.

“It’s been a great experience for an adult learner. The online portion gave me the freedom to work at my own pace on my own time knowing that I could still discuss obstacles or questions with my instructors during class.”

Donohue plans to graduate this summer, one year after entering the program, but Penn State hasn’t seen the last of her. She has applied to earn her master’s degree from the University.

Holtzer said she is proud of Donohue’s decision to pursue graduate studies.

“I believe she will be an asset in any advanced nursing position," Holtzer said.

Donohue, who earned her diploma from Frankford Hospital School of Nursing (now Aria Health School of Nursing), has simple advice for RNs who want to earn bachelor’s degrees.

“Just start, you can do it. Pace yourself. And do not let obstacles stop you from obtaining what you want,” she said.

For more information on the RN to B.S. degree in nursing at Abington, go to www.abington.psu.edu/rn.

Contact