Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Penn State students receive four types of student aid:  grants, scholarships, loans, and federal work-study.


Grants are awarded based solely on financial need, have no requirement of repayment, and can come from the federal government, the state, or Penn State. Read more

Penn State's Office of Human Resources offers a child care subsidy program for qualifying low-income undergraduate student parents enrolled in a degree program.


Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement. For many University scholarships, financial need is an additional criterion of eligibility.  There is no requirement of repayment.


Loans are a form of financial aid that must be repaid after a student leaves Penn State or drops below half-time attendance.

Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study awards are based on financial need and allow students to earn money toward their school expenses. Work-study earnings are not applied directly to students' semester bills. Students are paid $9.50/hour bi-weekly.

For a list of Work-Study positions available: https://workstudy.psu.jobs/abington/jobs . For other student employment opportunities on campus: https://psu.jobs/abington/jobs .